Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mutant Future Wilderness Map

Here are some more postapocalypitc maps.  These are intended for use with Mutant Future, instead of something darker.

First I took this map:

click to embiggen

It is a map of the North America after a bout of catastrophic global warming.  I believe it was created by the same people who did the one I used for the Dark Country, but I'm not sure. 

 Anyway, next I got the map more centered on the area I thought was most interesting.  I then roped off squares that in order to help me make the type of large wilderness map I typically make.  Here is the result:

click to embiggen

Next I mocked it up in Hexographer.  I added some rivers which aren't apparent on the main map.  Gray is hills, dark grey is mountains: 

click to embiggen

It was difficult for me to pick which area to enlarge and make into the first region.  I couldn't pick between the Mississippi islands or the Knoxville area.  I finally picked East TN since it provided a more diverse landscape.  

click to embiggen

Obviously this looks quite different from my earlier map of the same area, and I believe the first one was more accurate.  I figured whatever caused the Mutant Future could be responsible for much more dramatic changes in the landscape than a more "plausible apocalypse."

Finally I set about stocking the thing.  I did this a bit more literally than I usually do, following Welsh Piper's system and my my own tables more rigidly than I normally would.  The big exception is the blast site.  Heres the result: 

click to embiggen

Quite a bit of adventuring to be had there.  I might do a similar map for the Mississippi Islands in due time, but if I need to run a post-apoc game in the near future it's likely I'll use this and Mutant Future.

9 comments:

  1. Nice tutorial. You've had the post-apoc bug lately, does that mean the Dark Country is headed for the scrap heap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt it. I might take a month-long or so hiatus and run it, but it's unlikely. This map making thing is typically how I avoid scraping campaigns since it acts as a funnel for my GADD.

    Even if it does go away I doubt it'll be completely abandoned. My mind always wanders back to those fogbound forests and Nightwick Abbey's demon-haunted halls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always found this: http://legalplanet.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/radioactive-fallout-map3.jpg a useful resource for Post Apoc games. Long story short, it's projected nuclear fallout from a multi-warhead attack on the most likely targets in the US via FEMA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good map, but it fits a bit better with the Apocalyptia map instead of Mutant Future. I'm not entirely sure what caused the Mutant Future yet, but it involved a lot more than nuclear weapons (aside from the bomb crater).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice map from a very cool source. I've been playing with a similar map of Antarctica, myself.

    Feel very sorry for the folks living in 0521 as that river's gotta be pretty funky after flowing through the rad zone. o.O

    ReplyDelete
  6. Point taken - it is significantly different. In hindsight from when I last used it, a Fallout game, it doesn't actually fit very well with Fallout either. That universe assumed radiation works as they earliest believed when they figured out it was dangerous. IE: You get a localized area around the blast, which could be very small, it doesn't move, and of course you have the silly side-affects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a similar map I've been working on for my next MF game. It's a region of the world that's theoretically turned into an archipelago by the sea level rising.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very cool. Of course, I'm under water as well.

    ReplyDelete