Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sword & Sorcery Map Take II: A Work in Progress

click to embiggen

Here is another take on the area around Uz and it's fellow city states.  The original map seemed a bit small in actual play so I decided that I should make it roughly the size of a Wilderlands Hex Sheet.  I'm pretty happy with the result, though I suppose it is vulnerable to some of the pitfalls of the earlier map.  

The chiefest among these, to my mind, was how close the City States were to one another.  On the one hand it allowed them to hop from city to city, which did help to both keep me on my toes and make play interesting.  On the other hand, I agree with Blair: resource management should be an issue.  A desert setting where you don't have to worry about water isn't really a desert setting.  

I, obviously, haven't added any cities yet.  I may go with the six I had sketched out for the initial three sessions (I should probably do a report on the final session sometime) or I may only stick with the ones that were developed through play (Uz, Almodad, Jerah, and Phut).  I'll hopefully have it stocked -- at least in a sketchy sense -- fairly soon and I'll post the result, but I also have to plan for tonight's session in the Dark Country.

1 comment:

  1. And here I thought you were going to do the hexmap from SPI's Sword and Sorcery boardgame :)

    Digging the Sumerian setting. Deserts might be more interesting with more terrain differentiation - dunes, erg, escarpments, badlands, mesa, wadi/arroyo ...

    ReplyDelete