Thursday, November 11, 2010

Another Map

Click to Enlarge

Here is a map based on the Peloponnese in the very loosest sense.  I took the hex map associated with Columbia Games' Athens & Sparta and used the section of hexes around the Peloponnese.  I estimated -- very roughly -- that each of those hexes is about 25 miles across.  I then assigned a "main" hex type to each of these larger hexes and built this map using those types as a basis for The Welsh Piper's Hex Based Campaign Design, which I used in an earlier post.  The original version of this map was dominated by scrub land, but at my wife's behest I made it a bit greener. This is largely in line with the actual vegetation of ancient Greece, even if it is not in line with the Greece of my mind's eye.

The purpose of this map is threefold.  First and foremost, I just had a wild hair and wanted to make a map.  Second, I wanted to see how realistic the results of the Hex Based Campaign Design system could be.  The closer this looked to the original map, the better I would think it did.  I'm relatively happy with what I got so it definitely gets a pass.  Finally,  I wanted to have a map for Mediterranean themed adventures that are, as I've noted earlier,  is my primary outlet for fantasy roleplaying.  It is possible I will change some of the vegetation to resemble a more tropical environment and use it in my Underworld campaign, or perhaps as the basis of a Mazes & Minotaurs campaign setting.

Nightwick content to resume shortly.

2 comments:

  1. The basic design looks kind of familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it will look better if you swap the hex width and hex heights. When your hexes are line up in neat rows like that, doing so gives a truer hex shape. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete